About the Recipe
You won't even know it's made of jackfruit. The resemblance in both looks and taste is uncanny!
One 9x13-inch Pyrex baking dish
1 20-oz young green jackfruit, rinsed, drained
½ cup oil-free BBQ sauce
½ cup water
2 cups potato starch
½ cup ground flaxseed
½ cup nutritional yeast
3 Tbsps smoked paprika
3 Tbsps onion powder
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp liquid smoke (or 1 tsp smoked salt)
4 Tbsps Tamari or Braggs’ Aminos sauce
1 ½ cup water
1 ½ cups BBQ sauce, divided (¾ cup + ¾ cup)
1. Preheat oven to 375 ºF. Line a 9x13-inch Pyrex baking dish with parchment paper*. Make sure the parchment paper overlaps the edges of the dish by about ½ inch.
2. Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat.
3. Crush the rinsed jackfruit by hand making a fist and add to the pan together with 1/2 cup barbecue sauce, and 1 ½ cup water.
4. Reduce heat, cover with a lid and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.
5. Crush remaining large jackfruit pieces with a potato masher or a fork, making sure not to scratch the surface of the pan.
6. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl, stir well.
Add the soy sauce and 1 ½ cup water and stir until well combined.
7. Add the cooked jackfruit mixture and stir until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Add more water by tablespoon at a time, if needed.
8. Spread the mixture in the parchment-lined baking pan, bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes.
9. Remove from oven, have a cutting board ready. Grab two opposite sides of the parchment paper, lift the “ribs”, and place on the cutting board, with parchment still on the bottom.
10. Spread barbecue sauce evenly on the bottom of the Pyrex pan and flip the “ribs” carefully onto it.
11. Peel off the parchment and spread the rest of the BBQ sauce over the top.
12. Return to the oven and bake for 5-10 more minutes. Do not overbake!
13. Cut into "ribs" and enjoy with your favorite side or as a jackfruit sandwich.
Crumple the parchment paper and thoroughly wet it under running water. Then squeeze or twist it to extract the moisture just like you would wring a towel. Insert into the pan – it will now assume the shape of the pan and keep it.
No animals were harmed during the creation of this recipe!